The Skimmer is triangular in shape measuring 203mm (8 inches) high and 355mm (14 inches) wide weighing 4kg (8 pounds 15 ounces).
- The Dragonfly™ Stainless Steel Micro Oil Skimmer is a lightweight skimming unit designed to skim oil and other caustic floating materials from the surface of liquids in restricted areas.
- The Skimmer is complete with a self-adjusting floating head. Note that depending on
requirements, the self-adjusting head may come in two different forms. (Polypropylene
Floats or Silicone Sock Head)
- The Skimmer comes fully assembled.
- The Skimmer is constructed from 316 marine grade stainless steel and has a high
resistance to corrosion.
- The stainless steel floats have iron shot within them which serves as a ballast to hold the
Skimmer at the correct depth in the water and to stabilize it.
- The stainless steel floats are sealed with a lead free solder in a position that is above the
- All pipes and fittings are constructed from Polypropylene.
- The materials withstand high water temperatures and a variety of solvents and
hydrocarbon-based materials as well as salt and caustic solutions.
- The skimmer is low maintenance as is has no mechanical moving parts other than the
- The Dragonfly™ 316SS Stainless Steel Silicone Sock Head is not affected by
temperatures up to 140°f (60°c).
- The DragonjlyTM 316SSPPH Stainless Steel Polypropylene is not affected by
temperatures up to 212°f (lOO°c).
- The floats are not affected by changing water levels as it floats at the water surface.
- The capacity ofthe Skimmer is effective to 1,270 gallons (4,000 liters) per hour up to
1,900 gallons (6,000 liters) per hour depending on the pumping systems.
- Several Skimmers may be run in tandem depending on the capacity of the pumping
- Oil Shipping & Terminals
- Barge Companies
- Municipal Water Districts
- Mining Industry
- Environmental Cleanup Companies
- Power Plants
- Government (Armed Forces)
- Food Processing Plants
The Dragonfly™ Stainless Steel Oil Skimmer is constructed of 316 Marine Grade Stainless Steel and comes with a self-adjusing floating head.
The stainless steel floats have iron shot within them which serves as a ballast to hold the Skimmer at the correct depth in the water as well as to stabilize it. The floats are sealed with a lead-free solder in a position that is above the water line.
Included are pipes and fittings made from Polypropylene.
The head of the Dragonfly™ 3316SSPPH Stainless Steel Polypropylene consists of a Polypropylene head with a floating inner head and a fixed outer head resulting in a floating weir when the Skimmer is in the water. Over the Skimmer head is a tab on the top plate to keep the inner float from dislodging.
The Polypropylene head is more durable that the silicone sock head but may require more attention as it should be kept clean to ensure the floating action. The Polypropylene head will withstand heat up to 212°F (100°C). Replacement heads, both the inner float as well as the outer float, are available for purchase as needed.
The Polypropylene floating head adjusts in the water automatically to its required level.
The depth to which the weir (top of the self-adjusting Polypropylene floating head) goes below the surface of the water is known as the cut. The less the amount being pumped the finer the cut.
When the Skimmer is at rest (pump turned off) ideally the top of the weir should be just below either the surface or just barely breaking the surface.
It is best to limit the amount of water crossing over the weir to a point where skimming is most effective. It is also desirable to use a pump that works within the parameters of the Dragonfly™ Micro Oil Stainless Steel Skimmer design.
The preferred pumps to use are positive displacement pump such as helical rotor pumps or double diaphragm pumps. Special mention is made of the double diaphragm pump as single diaphragm pumps tend to bounce the Skimmer on the water’s surface thereby impeding the skimming action by emulsifying the liquid and leading to possible damage to the Skimmer.
If this cannot be accomplished, a water bypass or diverter valve should be installed to limit the intake of water or other floating material over the weir at the head of the Skimmer.
This can be achieved by fitting a T Section on the tube between the Skimmer and the pump with a diverter valve allowing the water or other floating material to be taken directly from a lower area of the holding tank. This will reduce the amount of liquid passing over the weir.
To achieve effective skimming results it is advisable to have the surface of the liquid as settled as possible. However, the Dragonfly™ Micro Oil Stainless Steel Skimmer is designed in such a way that even in rough conditions it will obtain the desired result and withstand rough treatment.
To ensure its proper operation, it is important to install the Dragonfly™ Micro Oil Stainless Steel Skimmer so that it floats evenly in the water without the influence of the suction hose pulling it into an uneven position.
To accomplish this we have included the “universal connector”, which is a set of tubes and fittings made from Polypropylene, and is designed to fit onto the base of the Skimmer. The connecter comes standard with a 1 inch (25mm) Male thread to connect to your fittings.
Note: There are a number of 90° bends joined to create the connector. To achieve the flexibility required, it is important that these bends are left lose. When assembling these connections, screw them together until they start to tighten, and then loosen them a bit until they start to move freely. Follow this process with all joints that are normally submerged. Assembling in this manner should result in the Skimmer sitting level in the water regardless of changes in conditions such as water levels or waves.